If you are transferring your sales tax information through Commerce Sync, you'll need to have your Sales Tax enabled in QuickBooks.
Below are instructions on how to enable Sales Tax in QuickBooks Desktop, how to add or edit your Sales Tax Rate, and how to add or edit a Combined or Group Tax Rate. After you have made these changes in QuickBooks, you'll need to turn on the Transfer Sales Tax feature in your Commerce Sync account. See steps below.
To enable Sales Tax within QuickBooks Desktop:
- Go to Edit > Preferences. The preferences dialog appears.
- In the left-hand navigation panel, click Sales Tax.
- Select the Company Preferences tab.
- At the top, next to the first question, do you charge sales tax?, click Yes.
From here click the Add Sales Tax Item button to open a new window where you can select a name, rate, and agency, as these are all required fields within QuickBooks. If you have more than one rate in your Point of Sale, select the Add Sales Tax Item button again to add the additional tax rates.
After initial setup, you can access your Tax settings easier by selecting the Manage Sales Tax icon that now appears in Vendors > Sales Tax > Manage Sales Tax.
Steps to Create a Sales Tax Group
When creating a Tax Rate in the Preferences dialog, select the Sales Tax Group item. From there, select your tax items to make your combined rate in the group.
Turn on Transfer Sales Tax Feature in Commerce Sync
Again, after you have made these changes in QuickBooks, you'll need to turn on the Transfer Sales Tax feature in your Commerce Sync account. Read more about Settings for QuickBooks.
- Open your Commerce Sync app
- Run a manual sync so the app can communicate with QuickBooks and know there are new tax rate(s) setup
- From the Dashboard click on View under the Settings icon
- Check the box for Transfer Sales Tax
- Click Save/Retry at the bottom right of the screen
- Run another manual sync now that the transfer tax box is checked